Bars and restaurants across Chicago and state-wide have been forced to close their doors in order to slow the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), as ordered by Illinois Governor J.B. Pritzker on March 16. Now, many need our help.
Patrons can help in a number of ways - by ordering delivery or buying gift cards - for example.
Employers, employees and supporters have set up a number of online campaigns - virtual tip jars - to help bridge the fiscal gap for servers, bartenders and other staff. Below is a list of funds to which people can donate: Cell Block
- Employees have organized a GoFundMe with a goal of $5,000 to help make it through the bar's closure. "Without our work or tips, most of us have zero income until further notice," wrote organizer Christopher Neville. (DONATE
)The Chicago Diner
- The family-owned restaurant is hoping to assist over 40 employees with a GoFundMe goal of $10,000. (DONATE
)Drew's On Halsted
- The Boystown eatery is asking for help raising $15,000 on GoFundMe to help staff. (DONATE
)D.S. Tequila Co.
- The owners and management at D.S. and Fajita Factory have created an online fund to help their 51 member staff during the furlough. (DONATE
- The management team has created a GoFundMe with all of the money raised going to the staff of Hydrate and Elixir Lounge. (DONATE
)Related: Online dance party for Hydrate staff raises over $10kKit Kat Lounge & Supper Club
- The owners of Kit Kat are asking friends for help raising $15,000 to help the "kitties." (DONATE
- The 'Lots of Love for Lark' GoFundMe page is hoping to raise $10,000 to help staff. (DONATE
- The Replay virtual tip jar has a GoFundMe goal of $15,000 with 100% of the money raised going to help staff. (DONATE
)The North End
- The Boystown sports bar is asking for help raising $20,000 on GoFundMe. "We've cheered on the Cubs, we've shed tears for da Bears, and sponsored many LGBTQIA+ sports leagues to foster camaraderie and community. We're passing the ball to you to help support the North End Team," wrote organizers. (DONATE
- The team at Scarlet - home to Frat Nights, Liquid Brunches, Fuegos, and The Monster Raves - is asking friends to help raise $5,000 on GoFundMe. (DONATE
- Owners and management of Sidetrack have established a GoFundMe to raise funds to supporte Sidetrack staff out of work during this time. Follow @sidetrackbar for at-home content. (DONATE
- Boystown's stylish eatery has set a goal of $20,000 on GoFundMe. "Thank you for all the years of relationships, scallops and glasses of wine – and we can't wait to be able to continue serving you in person again," wrote organizer Jeremiah Duncan. (DONATE
)Related: LGBTQ Chicago COVID-19 Resources