Daley opens new Town Hall district police station
Sun. November 14, 2010 8:20 AM by Kevin Wayne
mayor richard m. daley opens the new police station
The Town Hall district station, which has stood at the corner of Halsted and Addison since 1907, is being replaced by the new high-tech 44,000 square-foot police station located at 850 W. Addison.
Situated in the heart of Chicago's LGBT community known as Boystown and just three blocks from Wrigley Field, the new two-story building was built at cost of more than $30 million with a design based on the prototype for other new police stations that have been built throughout the city.
The new facility, which can accommodate a staff of 450 people, features state-of-the-art security, secure viewing and line-up rooms, physical fitness room, state-of-the-art fiber optic network, 361-space dual service parking structure, 150-foot communications tower and a special room with seating capacity for more than 100 to accommodate CAPS meetings.
The project, designed to achieve the goal of LEED "Gold" Certification, includes a turbine generator waste heat recovery system, heat island effect reduction pavement, drought resistant landscaping, and a sophisticated building energy management system.
Ald. Tom Tunney, Ald. Vi Daley, Ald. Gene Schulter, Ald. Mary Ann Smith, Ald. Helen Shiller, U.S. Rep. Quigley, state Rep. Feigenholtz and Police Superintendent Jody Weis joined Daley at the ribbon cutting ceremony on Saturday.
Officers and staff are expect to be completely moved into the new facility by November 22.