2013 LGBT community survey results: Starbucks does well, Chick-fil-A doesn't
Thu. August 29, 2013 8:50 AM by Wisconsin Gazette
starbucks rates high in the lgbt community
JCPenney, Target, Apple and Amazon round out the top 5.
The broad Community Market & Insights 2013 LGBT survey is based on the opinions of more than 30,000 people in more than 100 countries. To collect the information, CMI partnered with more than 180 media outlets and organizations, including the Wisconsin Gazette.
CMI noted that "obviously the media consumption, purchasing patterns and motivations of a 25 year old single gay man living in New York City are completely different than those of a lesbian couple in their 60s living in Sedona, Ariz." So, it said, the study "helps organizations understand how the LGBT community sometimes responds as one voice, or when demographic differences such as gender, age, and geographic residence are far more important."
A sampling of what CMI found in the United States:
• 75 percent of LGBT people are actively boycotting Chick-fil-A.
• The term "LGBT" has strengthened its lead as the preferred term to describe the community. "GLBT" is continuing to lose favor – even among gay men. Bisexual men and women and the transgender community strongly prefer the term "LGBT."
• The LGBT community demonstrates strong support for the performing arts, with more than 60 percent having purchased tickets in the past 12 months.
• Nearly half of all gay/bisexual men and lesbian/bisexual women surveyed make financial contributions to a charity or nonprofit at least annually.
• Lesbian and bisexual women are more likely to purchase spa services than gay and bisexual men.
• Lesbians consume beer on similar levels as gay men, but are far less likely to drink "spirits."
• Transgender men and women drink far less alcohol than gays or lesbians.
• Facebook is a dominant media force within the LGBT community. However, LGBT-specific websites are showing notable growth in LGBT readership.
• During the past week, 42 percent of lesbian/bi women "liked" a business on Facebook, 28 percent of gay/bi men "checked in" at a business to get deals or discounts and 17 percent of lesbian/bi women purchased a deal from Groupon, Living Social, etc.
• 56 percent of lesbians watched an NFL game on television in the past year, compared to 40 percent of gay men.
• Lesbians support the WNBA, with 34 percent watching a game on television and 12 percent attending a game.