DJ Ale Maes is bringing a bit of his native Brazil sound, and particularly a style, to Chicago for Market Days.
During his recent DJ tour of Brazil, Maes was playing at parties alongside other DJs. There were, believe it or not, 10 or 15 DJs, or more, per party.
"I just thought, 'Why not take this party style to Chicago?'" he said.
The result: DJ Ale Maes' 4 Friends Market Days Kickoff Party on Saturday, August 3, from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. at Mary's Attic
Maes will be joined by fellow Chicago DJs Alex Cabot, Ethan Cole, Jesse Mercado and Andrew James. Multiple DJs means multiple music styles – a party without attitude, where everyone is accepted, Maes said.
James will kick off the festivities, with the first hour-long set starting at 10 p.m., followed by Cabot. Cole takes over at midnight, followed by Mercado. Maes wrap things from 2-3 a.m.
"Chicago has, throughout its history, introduced many great DJs to the world," Maes said. "We, of this new generation, have learned and continue to learn from these great artists.
"Besides being friends, these five DJs compose something expressive in the music of the city. Based on their performances and the quality of their music, they were chosen for this party."
Maes added, "I've been following the career of these (other) DJs since I arrived in Chicago. It's amazing the evolution of each one; we can see that not only in Chicago, (but also around) the world (where) these artists are taking their music. We can be stronger by joining forces."
Maes said the venue will have a sound upgrade for the party, with the best available equipment so each DJ can shine. Lighting and decorations also will be key, Maes added.
And of course, "Hot dancers will be a part of the show, too," he said.
All screens at Mary's Attic will show the name of the DJ performing plus 3D videos.
So who's spinning for this fun-filled fiesta?
- Cabot blends tribal, classic house, techno, tech house, and even circuit and progressive with sexy vocals and influences of Afro-Caribbean, Latin, Soul, Disco, and Jazz. He is a resident DJ at Neverland and has shined at Charlie's, Hydrate Nightclub
, the annual IML Black & Blue Ball, and more.
- Originally from Orange County, Cole began spinning vintage house tracks on an old vinyl system in a Southern California Dive Bar
. His love and passion for house music began to evolve, then he started producing his own original tracks and official remixes. His major influences are Ralphi Rosario
, Alyson Calagna, Pagano, and Joe Gauthreaux have helped mold his dynamic style.
- Mercado has been the music-man for such local events as SKIN Productions' Octane Party, Hydrate Nightclub, Manhole, Furball, Market Days, and more. He combines Tech House, House, Vocals and a lot of groove in his sets.
- James' sounds is emotive, vocal, and relentlessly upbeat. He meshes lyrics and melody with driving rhythm.
- Maes arrived in Chicago in 2014 as a self-taught DJ, and his local debut was a long, hot set at now-closed Manhole. He has since shined at Hydrate Nightclub, SKIN Productions events (residency), Fantasy Nightclub, CUNTea, I Am Living Tea Time, Pride Parade events, Pride Fest, Market Days, and more. Maes brings hot vocals, strong bass lines, driving and intensive high-energy sets. He is one of the most-requested DJs for the bear/leather community.
"To be a DJ, you need hours and hours of music immersion, studying, improving, and discovering new sounds and styles ...that's what we all have in common: the desire to go beyond, to take our music further and further," Maes said. "We are friends; we live in the same city and we have an intense passion for what we do."