Officials review new parade route, discuss crackdown on public drinking
Chicago, IL —
Alderman Tom Tunney (44th Ward), Alderman James Cappleman (46th Ward) and Chicago Pride Parade Organizer Rich Pfeiffer held a press conference Tuesday to explain the new route and safety plan for the 2012 Chicago Pride Parade.
"Last year, beautiful weather and a strong sense of community brought nearly 750,000 people to the Lakeview neighborhood to celebrate the annual Pride Parade," said Alderman Tunney. "As a City, we knew that meant some big changes needed to take place to keep this parade safe and welcoming."
Pfeiffer reviewed the new parade route, which steps off from the Broadway/Montrose corner, proceeding south on Broadway; then south on Halsted; then east on Belmont; then south on Broadway; then east on Diversey to Cannon Drive.
"I am happy to welcome the pride parade to the 46th Ward. This route is a culmination of a year's worth of planning from the City, the parade organizers and all the businesses, churches and neighbors involved," said Alderman Cappleman.
The parade route will be lined with barricades on both sides of the street from beginning to the end of the parade route. Spectators will be required to remain behind the barricades.
After stepping off at noon, the 200 registered entries will take approximately two and one-half hours to finish crossing the Broadway & Montrose corner.
The organizers and elected officials also discussed the continued concern of alcohol being consumed at the public parade.
"To all those potential spectators: this year, keep a lid on it. Leave those coolers at home and bring a water bottle instead. Or else you run the risk of getting a hefty ticket from Chicago Police, or a trip to lock-up," said Alderman Tunney.